Monday, August 11, 2014

August Comments for a Cause - ELCA Malaria Campaign

July and August, and well really, all this summer has been busy and I'll be making an announcement soon as to why I may have been a little preoccupied with other things then blogging this summer.  But anyways... let's talk about Comments for a Cause.  In the month of July I had a total of 18 comments, equally a $9 donation to the international Little Free Library program.

In the month of August I'm looking forward to donating $0.50 for every comment to the ELCA Malaria Campaign, that I got to help support at the beginning of the month through my local community's Vacation Bible School (VBS) program.

Part of our VBS youth practicing their songs
At the beginning of the month three area churches came together to teach the community's youth about Jesus's ministry and about malaria in Africa.  Malaria is a mosquito-borne disease that is transmitted through female mosquitoes.  After being bitten, the disease works through the circulatory system in the blood and initially causes fever and headaches, eventually causing coma and death.  Children are easily susceptible to the disease.  In fact, it is estimated that a child dies from malaria every minute.

Through the ELCA church, we raised dollars to help combat this preventable and treatable disease.  One way to prevent this disease is to sleep in mosquito nets.  The female mosquitoes are nocturnal, so if families sleep under mosquito nets the infected mosquitoes can't bite them.  Each net costs $10, where half of the dollars goes toward the actual net and half towards education of how to use the nets.  During VBS we raised over $450, or 45 mosquito nets, and through August's Comments for a Cause I'm planning on adding to that total.

What world-wide efforts do you support, either individually or through your church?  Remember to Comment for a Cause!

3 comments:

  1. Great cause and one that the UMC supports as well! It is amazing what $10 can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure those mosquito nets will be greatly appreciated. (If you post more often, you would get more comments--18 is pretty low for a whole month.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure I tell you this every month, but I love your comment for a cause! You have a great heart, Val. I am honored to be a friend :)

    ReplyDelete